This is a question related to Verified Clients -- which we haven’t explained very well yet. First off, look for a talk I will post in the next few days explaining these mechanisms in more detail.

To answer the question briefly, the verification is not meant to verify the data itself, but verify the client and trust the client to a certain amount of data. This is a pragmatic solution to a very difficult problem of distinguishing malicious fake deals from real client deals, and being able to incentivize correct operation of the network.

First, please note that data from unverified clients is still just fine and profitable, and acceptable to the network. It just likely won’t be as profitable to mine as data from verified clients...(see part 2)

Please check my talk once I publish it, it will help clear up a lot of questions -- Juan
10:27 AM
Cheating is solved by a network of incentives: (a) there must be a lot of verifiers, (b) verifiers trust real clients up to some reasonable amount of data based on the client’s application (not unlimited), (c) verifiers themselves are checked to be doing accurate work. If they do not, they lose their ability to verify.

Please check my talk once I publish it, it will help clear up a lot of questions -- Juan